I moved teams at work; I’m no longer writing connectivity oriented UI’s for Moblin. I’ve joined the fledgling Moblin SDK team and have a goal of making Moblin the best gosh darn development experience out there!
Which I realise is *quite* the lofty goal, so let’s reel it in a bit. I’m making the rest of this year “Make Moblin Development Not Suck” time.
Right now we have a pretty poor offering for third party developers; as with many such projects we’ve been hugely user-oriented up until now.
Our little team is working on making this right, we’ll hopefully have some useful stuff to show soon.
For myself, I’m trying to address the Moblin Foundations and make them more approachable. We have some sweet libraries in there but they are largely a black box to developers due to low Gtk-doc annotation coverage outside of the core UI toolkits (Nbtk & Clutter).
Over the coming weeks I aim to address this; I’m looking through the code and trying to understand the APIs enough to get slightly better than skeletal Gtk-doc annotations added to our platform.
As a bonus prize with Gtk-doc annotations come almost free introspection metadata!
So, you’ve read this far and for that I thank you, as a reward here are the two lessons I’ve learnt so far this week:
- Makefiles care about tabs, you can’t align with spaces
- Building GObject-Introspection metadata outside of the standard, system, prefix. Tweak your environment!
GI_TYPELIB_PATH is where the gobject-introspection module looks for typelib files (perhaps add /usr/local/lib/girepository-1.0) and the giscanner looks in XDG_DATA_DIRS for gir-1.0 directories chock full of .gir files (maybe add /usr/local/share)